A recently published book about Pinehurst describes it as "Eden in the Pines." It is indeed a very special and inviting place.
For golf enthusiasts it represents one of the best golfing venues in the world. For others it offers an opportunity to live or retire in a quiet, relaxed lifestyle in a beautiful village where the long leaf pines and magnolia trees create a canopy effect, where the roads meander with gentle curves and homes are surrounded by azaleas, and wisteria. Pinehurst has survived, virtually unchanged, for over 100 years.
Nearly all of the Pinehurst's original cottages remain, either through meticulous maintenance or restoration. While the original ambiance of "Old Town Pinehurst" has been retained, the village has grown. Today it is a town of over 10,000 residents, with newer neighborhoods that capture the personality of Old Town. While golf is a way of life in Pinehurst, it boasts a superb tennis club and lovely Lake Pinehurst for water activities. Each are complimented with superb real estate at prices that will pleasantly surprise you.
A total of forty-two golf courses can be found in Pinehurst and the surrounding areas, offering an abundance of outstanding golf properties on fairways. And if you don't live on a fairway in Pinehurst, you are a short golf cart drive from one. Lots and home sites for new construction are available throughout the area. Lake Pinehurst, likewise, offers choice waterfront homes and home sites. Pinehurst ranks among the top few places in the eastern United States for quality golf courses, quality golf communities, quality weather and quality of life.
In 1895, James Walker Tufts drove a stake into the sandy soil somewhere in the middle of 5,500 acres of pine barrens. This location was to become what is now known as Pinehurst. At the time, no one could foresee the future of this timber cut land.
James Tufts, a philanthropist, well known as a shrewd businessman, felt there was a market for an affordable spot for working people from the north to escape the cold winter weather. He wanted a town designed on the looks of a New England Village. An old friend of the Tufts, Fredrick Law Olmstead, was his choice of designers. Olmstead was the designer of New York City's Central Park.
From June to December 1895, village streets were graded, electricity and telephone systems were installed, 226,000 trees and shrubs were planted, are under the watchful eye of Olmstead, Pinehurst's first hotel, The Holly Inn, opened for visitors. It had only been seven months since Tufts first drove the stake and named the spot Pinehurst.
In the fall of 1897, a guest brought a set of golf clubs to Pinehurst. There were stories right away about guest invading the cow pasture and scaring the cows by chasing little white balls around. Realizing that there was a need to strengthen the village recreational activities culminated in the opening of the county's first golf course, Pinehurst No. 1, in 1898.
This new game of golf grew in popularity, positioning Pinehurst right on the cutting edge. In 1900, Tufts hired a golf professional named Donald Ross for the new golf facility. In response to the golf craze, Donald Ross began his career in golf course design. By 1910, Ross was designing golf courses not only for Pinehurst but also all over the country.